Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Soup Cans

I grew up in a poor family and we start our marriage on about $5.00 an hour salary as factory workers. The checks I wrote out back then were for small amounts, $5 or $10. We thought about every dime we spent. But gradually our income increased and we could do a lot of things our parents were never able to do. Our closets got full and we ate good food.

However, recently my husband is unemployed and I'm reading the price tags on the soup cans and everything else. I've always wanted certain foods and labels because all foods are not equal. So I've tried the generic and the sale items. They are just not the same. With food, usually you get what you pay for.

While I still buy food for the taste- I know it's a luxury, I learning that I can do without a lot of other things that I used to buy without thought of the cost. You really can learn to live on less. And usually you spend what you earn.

No comments: