Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Global Warming and Go

I've been trying to figure out this game called Go that my son is interested in and while reading how to play one instructor said that Go cannot be simulated on a computer to the satisfaction of avid players. And that's because there are so many human choices involved and that it's nearly impossible for a game to be played twice.

So that leads me to global warming. If the creator is in charge of the atmosphere and the galaxy and our little world then what makes us think that we can create computer models to simulate the weather and the atmosphere and predict global warming. From my standpoint there are too many variables and a Creator with choices that we could never simulate.

And if the most brilliant weathermen(or women) in the world can only predict the weather for a few days at a time and many times they are close but not perfect in their predictions then how could anyone say what will happen weatherwise in 20, 30 or a hundred years?

I've been in love with rural living all my life and I respect the earth and take good care of the place I've been blessed to receive. But we're starting to micromanage the environment and it might just be that nothing we do matters because God in his plan has made the earth a little warmer.

"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding
when the morning stars sang together
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
“Or who shut in the sea with doors
when it burst out from the womb,
when I made clouds its garment
and thick darkness its swaddling band,
and prescribed limits for it
and set bars and doors,
and said, ‘Thus far shall you come, and no farther,
and here shall your proud waves be stayed’?
“Have you commanded the morning since your days began,
and caused the dawn to know its place,
that it might take hold of the skirts of the earth,
and the wicked be shaken out of it?
It is changed like clay under the seal,
and its features stand out like a garment.

From Job 38, ESV

No comments: