Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Digging Out

My mom used to have a bumper sticker that said, "God is my co-pilot." I think God was my pilot yesterday. I know my steering wheel was turning at 90 degree angles back and forth when I tried to go through the slush and snow piled in my long lane. As the weather warms up it seems the snow gets deeper and its like driving fast along a curvy road with pylons stuck everywhere. The car went wherever the ice took it. In some places the ice is 6 inches thick and slushy.

So when I get to the curve in the lane I know I can't get through that in my lightweight energy efficient car made by foreigners who obviously do not expect it to go through snow drifts. After spending a hour shoveling my back hurts too much to continue and I leave the car glaring at the drift.

Every snow storm brings ideas of selling this rural house and moving closer to a highway as I think how will I ever cope with this when we're older. I'm also getting frustrated that my husband took the 4-wheel drive, the salt and the good shovel.

And then I get online and read a prayer request for a family who has lost an 18 year old daughter in a car accident. All of a sudden the snow in the drive is a minor problem that will surely disappear soon.

Today when I hear my daughter's voice on the phone I'm grateful and when I spend another hour shoveling away the slush in the driveway it seems like a privilege.

No comments: